Music is a language that transcends borders and connects people from all walks of life. Each week, new songs are released, and it can be hard to keep up with all the incredible music being produced. To make your life a little easier, here are seven of the best songs of the week that you should definitely give a listen.
1. “Landslide” by Sufjan Stevens: Sufjan Stevens is known for his introspective lyrics and haunting melodies, and “Landslide” is no exception. This tender and delicate track is a cover of the iconic Fleetwood Mac song, but Stevens infuses it with his own unique touch, creating a truly beautiful rendition.
2. “Thawing Dawn” by A. Savage: Andrew Savage, the frontman of indie rock band Parquet Courts, recently released his solo album, and “Thawing Dawn” is one of the standout tracks. With its jangly guitars and catchy hooks, this song showcases Savage’s talent for crafting infectious indie rock tunes.
3. “Antiphon” by Midlake and John Grant: When two immensely talented artists collaborate, magic happens. This is exactly the case with “Antiphon,” a beautifully layered and lush track that brings together the talents of folk-rock band Midlake and singer-songwriter John Grant. The song is a perfect mix of Grant’s emotive vocals and Midlake’s intricate instrumentation.
4. “Dressing America” by TORRES: TORRES, also known as Mackenzie Scott, has been making waves in the indie rock scene for her raw and honest songwriting. “Dressing America” is a prime example of her prowess. With its driving rhythm and powerful lyrics, the song explores the complexities of identity and individualism in modern society.
5. “Watermelon Sugar” by Harry Styles: Harry Styles is no stranger to creating chart-topping hits, and “Watermelon Sugar” is yet another infectious track from the former One Direction member. This upbeat and summery anthem is guaranteed to have you dancing along and singing its catchy chorus in no time.
6. “Time” by Jungle: British modern soul collective Jungle is back with their groovy single “Time.” Combining funky basslines, infectious beats, and smooth vocals, the song invites listeners to lose themselves in its irresistibly danceable rhythm. It’s the perfect tune to get your body moving and have some fun.
7. “7 O’Clock News” by Raye Zaragoza ft. Peter Yarrow: Raye Zaragoza’s poignant song “7 O’Clock News” features the iconic Peter Yarrow, known for his contributions to the folk group Peter, Paul and Mary. The song addresses various social issues, such as police brutality and the refugee crisis, set against the backdrop of a haunting melody. The inclusion of news clips adds a powerful layer to the already thought-provoking lyrics.
These seven songs represent just a fraction of the incredible music being released each week. Whether you’re a fan of folk, indie rock, pop, or soul, there’s something to cater to everyone’s taste. So, take a break from your busy schedule, grab your headphones, and let these songs transport you to a world of musical bliss.